Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Temperature and Time = 6.5D Salmonella Reduction

Ok so 6.5D reduction kills 99.99997% of all pathogens present. The FDA requires this for most raw food products and other nongovernmental organizations find this to be too conservative and settle for a 5D reduction.

With that said....can you help me understand the charts on page 193 and 194. I think I understand the chart about meat roasts. Do those temps include any red meat?

The one about chicken is really giving me a hard time, but I guess it is a result of being taught 165 F is the temp you have to cook poultry to NO EXCEPTIONS. Am I reading the chart right? If I cook a chicken breast to 131 F and hold it there for 39m and 31s it is safe to eat?! As a home cook can I achieve that accuracy with a conventional oven?

Why are the sous vide times different? I don't remember reading anaerobic pathogens being harder to kill.

How would I use the pasteurization recommendations in a home kitchen scenario? And is the fish freezing recommendations how you make sushi grade fish and is that the only way to make sushi grade fish?    

Ok I am going to stop there. I am past that section of reading and on to food fads and how the FDA and other food distributor make up things like (more fiber can reduce colon cancer) without any real scientific evidence because it costs too much. But they can make money off of the hypothesis because people don't usually question it.....scary to say the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment