Sea-Beans
> AKA Drift Beans
>These beans do not originate from the seas just merely use it or any other water ways as a form of transport.
>They are said to grow from trees and vines in tropical areas. They fall into rivers and streams and find their way to the ocean.
>Considered a fruit because it contains seeds but I guess because of their appearance were initially thought to be a bean.
>Are incredibly buoyant because they contain seeds with air pockets. It has been tested, by a man named John Dennis, some of theses beans can float for 32 years.
>They can be found on coastal shores of the Atlantic especially during and after hurricane season because of the exceptionally high tides.
> They are usually used for medicinal purposes and available commercially as a nutritional supplement.
> I have never worked with them before.
Good for you, hun...
ReplyDeleteActually, my main point about sea beans we covered at dinner, where I was saying that Modernist Cuisine volume 5 recommended them as a salty inclusion in a sauce ravigotte (as opposed to pickles, capers, etc.) when pairing it with shellfish. Briny with briny, so to speak.
Actually, in my opinion, the real challenge with seabeans is finding a dish where they are worth it. They are expensive, and if they aren't framed up just the right way, they just taste like salt.
I have a post coming very soon.