Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My problem with Fusion



Okay, so D and I went to Fish last night, and it was OK.  From an execution standpoint, it was really nice, but compositionally, I was left cold, and after a little while I figured out why.

I have a serious issue with fusion cuisine.  Technically, fusion can mean any 2 (or more) types of cuisine fused together.  (Mexican-Indian, Canadian-Vietnamese, whatever...)  However, most times it means using Asian influence in Euro-centric cuisine.

At Fish, they definitely took some of their stylistic cues from Asia.  There were positives and negatives.  On the positive side, the dim sum (pictured) was a great idea.  It was a way of allowing us to choose our own amuse-bouches.  They didn't necessarily use Asian flavors, just the spirit of dim sum dining, and they hit the nail on the head.

The negative is what struck me though.  Think about the great sauces of European cuisine.  Sauce Bordelaise is made by roasting bones, adding vegetables, caramelizing tomatoes, reducing wine, long, slow simmering, adding mushroom trim for depth, straining, skimming, and finishing with the flourish of bone marrow richness.  Ragu a la Bolognese is made by covering pork ribs and italian sausage with canned tomatoes and herbs (and other secret touches like parmesan rind) and letting it simmer slowly for an entire day, until the meat and tomato have become one silken entity, and all that remains is to remove the bones and bay leaves.

Now think about asian cuisine.  Red curry sauce is made by opening a can of red curry paste, mixing it with coconut milk, and seasoning it with ginger and lime.  I am not disparaging red curry sauce.  I love red curry sauce.  But to make it takes 5 minutes.  Any cheap, shitty Thai restaurant in a strip mall can still make an awesome red curry.  I require more out of my sauces at the fine dining level in terms of nuance.

At Fish, we had bread served with a sweet soy glaze that could have been had at P.F.Chang's, Snapper with curry sauce that tasted like a slightly more mild version of the one at Taste of Thai in West Ashley, and Triggerfish with a broth that tasted like the onion soup you get as a starter at Bushido.  It all tasted great, but Asian food is what I get for cheap lunch on the go.  It was all so... familiar, and not in a good way, when plates are $23 and up.

I feel like Asian flavors at western fine dining establishments are like Autotune in a song, or Photoshop Effects in a work of visual art.  They give a quick boost of awesomeness, but ultimately limit the heights to which that food can soar.  An amateur can make a simple, great sauce in five minutes for some shrimp, but may not be able to pull off Sauce Gran Veneur.  Similarly, a kid with an iPhone can make a cool picture, but a great artist would prefer working with more natural media.  Ke$ha can throw together a catchy, lucrative pop song in a modern studio with all the tricks and trimmings, but all Django Rheinhart needed was a guitar and eight fingers.

That is all.  For bonus points, what is Sauce Gran Veneur?

3 comments:

  1. Sauce Gran Veneur for the bonus! It translates to Grand Huntman's Sauce. It is a derivative of Sauce Poivrade which is a pepper flavored game sauce. This sauce contains onion, carrot, shallot, garlic, white wine, white wine vinegar, parsley stems, thyme, bay, whole pepper corns, red meat, brown stock and sometimes even animal blood. It is reduced for hours at a low temperature then strained through a chinois and finished with butter. It is transformed into Sauce Gran Veneur by finishing the sauce with cream and red current jelly before it has been finished with butter. I found all of this information in a classical and contemporary sauce book by James Peterson. I bought it along time ago when I was in school taking soups stocks and sauces. I hadn't had much use for it until now. It was nice to have a book in my personal library that had the information instead of relying on Google. This was going to be my next post but I can't seem to figure out how to start a new one. The option of NEW POST is not available at the top of the page as usual. Any ideas as to why? I am signed in so not sure what the issue is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why you're having problems. I would just dick around for an hour or so. You'll figure it out. This software is famously easy to use. When you get there, just to a throwaway post, that way you're not sitting on great content getting madder and madder.

      Very good on your answer to Gran Veneur. A couple of points that your source didn't mention.

      1) Poivrade sauce can be started with game stock, which often includes juniper berry.

      2) In Escoffier, it is also seasoned with horseradish. I am not sure it is the most important touch, and I'm not sure it is 100% traditional, but it is really good like that.

      3) The reason I had Gran Veneur on the brain is that I am putting a dish on the menu of Duck Confit (leg, seared), Crushed Red Potatoes, Melted Leeks, and Duck Sauce Gran Veneur (not totally traditional, I am using the gelee from the duck confit, veal stock, IQF red currants, juniper berries, caramelized onions, and horseradish. It's really good, I just made it for the first time yesterday.)

      4) That sauce book is FANTASTIC. Its really classical, I mean, like, even the 'contemporary' sauces in it are pretty by-the-numbers, but its really comprehensive and well written. And you know how I feel about classics...

      Say 'Hi' to Rachel for me.

      Delete
    2. She says hey!!!!! That dish sounds awesome! I hope its on the menu in April so I can try it! 20 pages away from finishing the first book! YAY

      Delete