Sunday, February 3, 2013

Fisherman's Ocean Progress Report

So I finished part 1 (of 3) of The Fisherman's Ocean.  It was a complete discussion of the marine environment, talking about tides, waves, currents, and salinity.  There was surprisingly little discussion of fish, and I started to get frustrated, but then I checked out the table of contents.

As it happens, the three parts cover different topics.  Part 1 is strictly on the environment, part 2 covers the fish themselves, and only in Part 3 does he actually get into functional tips on how to properly kick the fish's asses.  

So I started in on part 2, and it was immediately informative.  Not just on how fish work biologically, but how they think, too.  Its really starting to get good.  Here is a disturbing fun-fin-fact.  Fish look for eyes, because they are the least camouflage-able feature of a fish.  So a majority of fish-on-fish strikes are on the EYES.  Fish are weird.  That's why lures always have eyes.

In other fish-ass-kicking-related news, I bought a 12 foot surf rod.  It was actually pretty cheap, like 30 bucks.  I plan on using it to throw the anchor for the trolley line, but it will also be good for beach fishing, because it is so damn long it will be able to throw the bait a mile.

So that's what's up.  7 new dishes on this week at the restaurant.  There is 1 i am especially proud of, I'll post about it later this week.

(In other news, cool moment at the Moose the o

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the book is a good read. I was hoping it would help a little! That't awesome abou the surf rod. Your going to be a pro by the time I get back. What happened at the Moose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I though I deleted that, I ran out of time.

    It was just a funny moment. Shows how small Charleston is. I was out for drinks with Nate and Adam Whiting, and I looked one way and it was the chef/owner of Xiu Bao Biscuit, and on the other side was Josh from Two Boroughs. 4 executive chefs, all under-appreciated (if you ask me, by jingo), sitting within 15 feet one night outta nowhere... Just a cool little thing.

    ReplyDelete