Tuesday, February 19, 2013

F.O.P.R.

Fisherman's Ocean progress report, part 2.

On page 183, I have encountered the first real, non-theoretical fishing tip in the book.  It concerns using different sorts of lures on the same line.  The suggestion was to use a fly (the tiny, weightless lures used by the obsessive-compulsive psychopath philosophers known as fly fishermen) as a 'teaser,' tied only a line a few feet up from the main rig.

The article's main point was that fish feeding habits are variable, and very hard to observe, so giving them options is one way to beat them.

I here present my fishing goals for the 2013 season.

1) Attempt to get a sheepshead off the Cooper Pier at least 5 times.
2) Attempt to get a flounder of the bottom of Breach Inlet at least 5 times.
3) Go to the Folly Pier as often as possible, and every time I go, try at least 1 alternative bait set up on top of my normal shrimp/cut bait double-drop bottom rig.
4) Get the Trolley Line up and running.

This book is getting good.  Part 1 is all environmental theory, part 2 is all descriptions of types of fish, and part 3, which I will arrive at today, is all practical advice.

Miss you, sweets, we should try to talk soon.

2 comments:

  1. Also, a quote I read:

    "Some people go to church and think about fishing. Others go fishing and think about God."

    I'm not religious, but I think it still very much applies.

    ReplyDelete