Sushi made with the help of Nobu Now cookbook Rachel found in the donation pile at the library!
From left to right: avocado, home made picked carrots, masago, blanched baby bok choy, sautéed baby bok choy leaves, cucumber, seaweed salad, home made crab salad, asian pear, and panko.
Roll 1: White fish, pickled carrots, seaweed salad, asian pear, panko, and home made spicy mayo.
Roll 2: Shrimp tempura, sautéed baby bok choy, crab salad, pickled carrots, cream cheese, cucumber, avocado, masago, and sweet soy with sesame seeds.
This was sooo much fun! I see why people go out for sushi though because it's not that it is too difficult to execute but MAN what a process! My favorite part was making the rice. I read the recipe and just at first glance for some reason I didn't think it would work but I decided to follow it to a T. I was soo happy with the end result and even more thrilled because I had to cook it on an electric stove.
Sushi in a Bowl
OK so I realize that some Sushi Master is rolling over in their grave right now because of course the AMERICANS always find ways to bastardize things but this was created out of laziness/necessity. I unfortunately cannot take credit for being the 1st to make this atrocity. The next day I had to work a PM shift and Rachel wanted sushi again for lunch and so did I. I didn't have time to orchestrate rolling more sushi but I did have time to sear some tuna and then put all the ingredients I had from the night before in a BOWL! It was amazing and we ate sushi this way two times after that (I over prepped go figure) : ).
AND FOR THE BONUS!
Mock Turtle Soup is called "Mock" Turtle Soup because it usually doesn't have any turtle in it at all! Turtle is too expensive probably because they are hard to clean, yield very little meat for the effort, and because Rachel said you would have to pay her a lot of money because she loves them too much. It was created by the English in the 18th century as a substitute for Green Turtle Soup. It was usually made with the brains and organ meats of calves or even their hooves! The joke made in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is that the soup is made from Mock Turtle as if it was an actual species of turtle. P.S. Ask D to show you what Rachel made for me on V Day! Miss YOU!
Well I'll give you full credit on the mock turtle thing, you were very close. My mock turtle soup was made with veal, but I splurged and used ground veal, not hoof or brain. The Lewis Carrol connection was half-right, but you missed the visual part of the joke. In the illustrations, the Mock Turtle has the head of a calf (as in, veal). Real knee-slapper, right?
ReplyDeleteAs far as your sushi bowl goes, I'll have you know I got my copy of The Complete Book of Japanese Cooking by Elizabeth Lambert Ortiz (pub. 1976) to check something. There is a traditional Japanese sushi dish called Chirashizushi, meaning 'Many Garnish Vinegared Rice' that is just a bowl of sushi rice topped with traditional sushi garnishes. So don't worry, no ancient Japs are spinning in their graves. You just reinvented a classic. Those guys had to eat on the go too, ya know!
Miss you both, and I hope to hear more about what's cooking.