Sunday, December 2, 2012
Jesse and D's (Sort-of) Thanksgiving
So D and I had the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off, and we decided to have an awesome dinner. I didn't want to cook. So we bought a couple of fun bottles of wine, and had us a garde manger dinner.
(times refer to places on the plate, not hours of consumption)
At 12 o'clock, a crusty baguette from EVO. I don't know if you know it, but its a pizza place on Daniel Island. Their pizza is ok, but they have a bread bakery now and its the best bread I've ever had in South Carolina.
At 1 o'clock, a can of D'Augustino Sicilian anchovies. You know them, you love them. They are my #3 favorite food behind hot dogs and caviar.
At 4 o'clock, a small wheel of raw milk goat cheese from the Loire valley, in France. I honestly don't remember the name of it, but it was great. The Loire valley is the garden of France, home of fantastic, affordable wine, amazing farmhouse cheese, and fresh vegetables. You need to love the Loire valley. Its like Northern California but with honest, real food culture.
At 7 o'clock, a piece of rosemary lardo. It was a free gift from the fine folks at Goat Sheep Cow. They give me treats sometimes, because I am just that awesome. It was salty, rich, tender, creamy, and amazing. D and I at about an ounce each, and were DONE. That's a lot of pork fat.
At 10 o'clock, a wheel of Delice de Pommard. Pommard is a village in Burgundy known for rough, harsh, bold red wines (they are my favorite red Burgundies) and mustard. This cheese is a triple-creme cow's milk cheese that is rolled in cracked mustard seeds. The mustard seeds permeate every corner of the cheese. It was creamy, rich, powerful, and decadent. It took us 3 days to finish a 4 ounce wheel. Intense.
So that was our Thanksgiving. I am thankful for friends, food, and Loire valley wines. And the Chicago Cubs Baseball Club. And honestly, I'm startin to get used to this MacBook...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That sounds like a great Thanksgiving to me! Second to the anchovies I think I would have really liked the Raw Milk Goat Cheese...it sounds awesome. I am also glad you are getting use to the MacBook. I really love mine.
ReplyDelete