A divergent opinion on sous-vide steak:
I know the word of God (or in this case, Thomas Keller, in his book Under Pressure) is that cooking tender cuts of beef en sous vide for an excessively long time will break it down in a bad way and degrade the meat. Nate certainly believes this, and it's what I've always been taught. However, on page 50 of MC5, there is a method for cooking flatiron at 55 C for 72(!!!!) hours. They say it increases tenderness. (If you haven't worked with flat iron, they are pretty tender on their own. I cook mine for 4 minutes, 15 seconds, but then I don't have a sous vide machine.)
Isn't that interesting... No one but NO ONE disagrees with Thomas Keller, but here we seem to have another method of thinking... Maybe TK was talking about only the tenderest of cuts. I'd like to see what happens when you sous-vide a tenderloin, or a lamb rack, or a coulotte that long. I smell an experiment!
Bonus discussion question: Have you worked with seabeans before? Tell me about them. [I am going somewhere with this, this isn't just random trivia.]
No comments:
Post a Comment