- Charcoal burns "cleaner" than wood? I have tried to look up this terminology and have read it over and over again in the book itself but I feel that a Jesse explanation would help me more.
- Drippings are what really flavors the food not the coals or wood. (O.o) That's my new Mind Blown face...anyways. If this is true then is that another reason for a marinade? The meat juices and marinade that drips into the fire, causes a flare and then smoke, is what actually flavors the food? Is stressing about the type of wood to use as fuel better left for smoking purposes? Also what do you prefer when you BBQ? I know my father likes charcoal.
- Thinking of radiant heat as a light ray has really helped me to picture what is truly happening on a grill and in understanding how distance from the source of heat isn't a simple lifting of the rack. (hee hee last words made me chuckle)
- Also most grills are black? Who decided this and should they get a slap on the wrist? If the best grill is reflective then why don't we all have chrome grills besides the fact that it could be a costly endeavor. The last one is just me ranting. I will look it up and get back to you unless you have some wisdom on the matter already.
Monday, April 15, 2013
Traditional cooking...GRILLING
I can honestly say I never thought of grilling as a art or even a skill that is difficult to master but I humbly stand corrected. Lots of fun and interesting facts came out of this section and I wanted to share (even though you have already read this) and asked a few questions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like your 'mind blown' emoticon. I have a similar one I use, for a very different situation... But you don't want to know anything about that.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, good points.
-Burning cleaner: Charcoal is just wood that has had a lot of impurities burnt out of it. By 'burns cleaner' all they are saying is that there is fewer impurities in the smoke, less chemical activity, less STUFF being kicked out by the fire. Less soot, too.
-I don't know, exactly, whether drippings from a marinade or from a piece of meat make a difference once they are burned and turned into flavor-gasses. I think once the marinade has hit the meat, it has done its job. After all, the first thing they tell you when grilling marinated meat is to blot off as much of the marinade as possible, to avoid flare-ups. What do you think?
-Yes, in my opinion, it is silly to get too caught up in which wood to use, unless you are smoking (that is a whole different ballgame). I just use charcoal, its easy and reliable, and when I want smoke flavor I go with wood chips.
-Black is cheaper, I'm sure that's all it is.
You have fun grilling, and lifting racks. If you happen to find an underwire under one of those racks, remove it immediately.
They acted like the flare ups were ok and the smoke from them was even better. Hmmm... I guess if another way to get flavor out of a marinade was through the fire then we would already have some AS SEEN ON TV selling a marinade to spray on your charcoal for 3 easy payments and one complicated payment of $19.99. I like charcoal as well and can't wait to grill with my dad soon! Speaking of dad! He is in the process of getting me a 15 in. X 21 in. X 3/4 in. aluminum plate with rounded edges! It will fit just right in my oven and then it's PIZZA TIME!
ReplyDeleteNo, I think a few isolated flare-ups are fine, but 3 tablespoons of oily marinade running off a chicken leg at the same time would be too much. Sooty, kerosene-y nastiness.
DeleteThe pizza plate sounds hot. I don't know if you know this, but I'm the chef at a pizza place. You want pizza recipes, you know who to call....