Monday, November 19, 2012

Purple Cape Beans vs Red Beans


Kidney beans

AKA Red beans are of Caribbean origin and found its way to the states when there was a slave rebellion in Haiti and forced the sugar planters to seek haven in Louisiana which was owned by France at the time. These beans are one of the most toxic of the many bean varieties. They must be heated to boiling for at least ten minutes to kill the toxic compound Phytohaemagglutinin which is a lectin and especially concentrated in the (Red) kidney bean. The tradition that started in New Orleans was Monday Red Beans and Rice (at Nicholls red beans and rice day was on monday in the cafeteria ..who would have thought there was a reason for it) because sunday was when ham was traditionally eaten. Then the left over ham bone was put in the red beans that would cook all day while the women did the wash. The bone not only gave the beans more flavor but it was also resourceful way to use as much of the pig as possible.


Purple Cape Beans

AKA Sea Island Beans are heirlooms of the Magwood Family and are grown in the Stono River Valley south of Charleston, SC. They are a little smaller than red kidney beans but have lots of natural smokiness when cooked. I couldn't find much else but if I do I'll let you know. Also here is a pic... maybe by this you can get some for Social. Do beans and wine go well together? I didn't think so because of the smokiness nut your the expert not me!
Robert Moss's pic (@mossr)Sea Island Purple Cape Beans: old heirloom from the Magwood family, now grown by Celeste Albers http://t.co/0zZxcDjz 2012-04-28 14:16:00


Also here is a pic of Red Beans and Rice I made for Rachel and I.

Nothing fancy but it was pretty good and I didn't put any meat in it!

1 comment:

  1. Beans can absolutely go with win. French cassoulet with Cahors (a French dry red based on Malbec) is one of the great pairings. Smokiness can go with virtually any wine, as long as its the right wine. Some wines are even smoky, or have a dusky, savory minerality that you can liken to smoke. Blogger.com doesn't seem to think that minerality is a word, btw, but you and I know better.

    ReplyDelete