Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fisherman's Ocean- Completed!

I have officially finished Fisherman's Ocean.  It was informative, and scientific.  Its scientific nature was its blessing and a curse.  Instead of straightforward hints and tactics, the author gives you an idea for how to gather data and results to make your own tactical decisions.  This makes it a lot more informative in the long run than any fishing book I have ever read before.  He teaches you how to figure out what to do in changing situations, rather than just how to handle specific situations.

Ultimately, I think this is the only strategy that can work.  Any fishing author can relate things that were successful.  This guy, instead, told how he built his strategy based on information, and how to gather that information.

Other fishing books: "Here is how you rig up to catch a mackerel."

His book: "Here is a list of factors that influence whether or not you will find a mackerel.  Even if the conditions are wrong, you may still find one.  Conversely, even if conditions are right, you might not find one.  If you find one, here are a list of rigs that might work, and why they might work.  They might not work though.  If not, here is a list of factors to consider.  Write down your experiences, log what works and what doesn't, change spots, change strategies, and eventually, you should catch more mackerel."

In a way, he is the only honest fishing author I have ever read.
Thanks, Sweets, for the well-thought out and informative read.

Next, I go through Charleston Grill cookbook with a highlighter, tagging anything that I think is at least 20 years out of style.  Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment